Pin-ups dressed in endless ornaments meet past and present joined by layers and layers of symbols and femininity. Here are the amazing digital collages, but assembled by hand, by Dutch artist Handiedan.
We find them on the majestic walls of cities like Berlin or New York , or as tiny paintings, ceramics and not only … the production of Handiedan knows no borders and the artist experiments with different media, all able to accommodate these collages from vintage flavor but contemporary.
The protagonists are the undisputed female figures: tattooed and present, will show sexy Pin-up post-war time chicks while minute details bring us back to the years of the Parisian Belle Époque, with neo – classical and Victorian influences.
The art is a mix of structured movements and eras that finds its harmony in the complex realization: each work is made digitally by assembling pre-existing images, followed by a meticulous process of handmade paper-cut layering. After the work is completed in pen, as the artist defines the forms, the backgrounds and enhances by further decorating the bodies of the pin-up girls.
The long process collages gives a three-dimensional effect and the matter itself becomes an integral part of the work.
The collages Handiedan , which are affixed to the walls thanks to weathpaste (a method that allows artists to create temporary urban works) or are made of tiny objects always hide a soul full of meaning : the decorations used by the artist are never ends in themselves, but rather are inspired by symbols researched topics such as metaphysics, mythology, sacred, geometry, cosmology, astronomy and time theories.
The ornamental wallpaper, with complex figures, are composed of images such as ancient currencies, vintage sheet music, stamps and old playing cards. These works are for all to admire, observe and understand where to are enchanted by winking pin ups and find hidden messages among endless details.
- Just Stop this Bickering About Columbus Day (The Origin of Columbus Day) - February 11, 2018
- Was There Really a “Good Saint Nick”? (The Origin of Santa Claus) - February 11, 2018
- Money Backed by Land Worked in Early America - February 11, 2018
- African Blues Protest Rock - February 6, 2018
- Pin Ups Decorated and Tattooed in 3D Collages - January 26, 2018
- The Early Daze of Punk - January 7, 2018
- Motortown Review: the ‘Chitlin Circuit’ Early 1960’s - November 20, 2017
- Taking a Walk in the Village - November 19, 2017
- The Godmother of Rock and Roll - November 18, 2017
- Rock n Roll Pin up Girls in Ink - November 8, 2017