Shopping is Coming to Instagram
Instagram is testing a way for its community to learn more about the items they view within an Instagram post. Each post will have a tap to view icon at the bottom left of a photo. When tapped, a tag will appear on various products in the post—showcasing up to five products and their prices.
Once a tag is selected, a detailed view of the product will open. This test will give the Instagram community valuable information along their shopping journey before they make a purchase. During the initial phase, these new features will be available only to a group of people on iOS devices within the US.
To test the new experience, 20 US-based retail brands including Kate Spade, JackThreads and Warby Parker will share posts that have more depth, making it easier for Instagrammers to review, learn about and consider the items that interest them.*** Each post will have a tap to view icon at the bottom left of a photo. When tapped, a tag will appear on various products in the post—showcasing up to five products and their prices.
Once a tag is selected a new detailed view of the product will open. This functionality will bring important product information to the consumer earlier in the journey, all without having to leave the Instagram app to search. Then, if the consumer taps the Shop Now link from the product details view, they’ll go directly to that product on the business’ website, making it easier for them to buy the product they want.
Instagram already is a great place for discovery on mobile. While consumer research informed the first step of this test, we expect to learn a lot from the businesses we’re working with in this early test. During this initial phase, the new features will be available to a group of people on iOS devices within the US. As we roll out further, we’ll explore product recommendations, ways products are showcased to shoppers, global expansion and the ability to save content so Instagrammers can take an action later. We want to understand how to deliver the most seamless shopping experience for consumers and businesses on Instagram, and ultimately mobile.
- It’s not a Funnel, it’s a Journey - May 28, 2017
- Why Creativity Matters More in the Age of Mobile - April 12, 2017
- The Best Marketing Machine Ever is The Beatles - April 6, 2017
- Traditional Advertising VS Digital Marketing - March 27, 2017
- It’s all About Video Content now… - February 28, 2017
- New Ways to Watch Facebook Video - February 18, 2017
- Budgeting for better Facebook Ad Delivery - February 7, 2017
- Introducing Facebook Live Audio - December 21, 2016
- Save That Hot Post on Instagram - December 16, 2016
- Video Tab for Facebook Mobile App - December 11, 2016